I decided to try to pack up some of the activities and books to take to Utah with us. So some of the things this week were a little more abbreviated than what I had planned and I did not get as many pictures. I guess this is the travel version.
Humphrey's 1st Christmas - Dec. 5
Thomas and I read this book on the plane ride to Utah. I loved how Humphrey the camel changed his selfish ways and in the end gives baby Jesus his most beloved treasure, his blanket. We also made a paper camel on the plane. Too bad I did not get any pictures of it. Here is the link to the blog that has a picture and a link to print it out. http://beinglds.blogspot.com/2009/12/humphreys-first-christmaschristmas-book.html
Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer - Dec 6
My Mom gave the kids an early Christmas present while we were there. She recorded the Rudolph story for the kids. I have always wanted to buy one of these recordable story books, but never have. It is so fun to read this book with Grandma even when she is all the way in Utah!
After reading the book, the kids put together a travel friendly foam reindeer. I have so many reindeer crafts that I had to leave at home that I think we will have to have another reindeer day before Christmas. Later that night, the kids watched the older version of Rudolph.
Home for Christmas - Dec 7
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas - Dec 8
Today was grinch day. This was the first year that we have read The Grinch. We started the day off with Hallie reading the book to Thomas. It was so fun for Thomas to have Hallie read the book to him. We then made felt lollipop ornaments that turned out really cute (will upload pictures later). The kids also got new Christmas coloring books. It was so fun that we could do these activities with Hallie and Tyler too! That night the kids stayed with my Mom and John and watched the older version of the movie and ate popcorn. I think they ended up watching it like 3 times that night. This book and movie I think have been the kids favorite this year. Every night before bed, Thomas picks this book out to read.
The Light of Christmas - Dec 10th
Today the kids spent the morning with my sister Jennifer. She made some clay ornaments with Thomas and read The Light of Christmas to them. I really liked this book and its message. "The truest gift of Christmas is the gift of self. The flame of Christmas must first burn from within". Jennifer met us in Salt Lake with the kids so that they could release balloons for Nana too. Afterwards, we headed over to temple square to see the lights for our book activity. It was a perfect night and the lights were amazing.
Christmas Oranges - Dec 11th
When I was in college, this was one of my favorite stories to read around Christmas time. I was so excited to read this with Thomas this year. Every year we add a book to our Christmas collection, and this year we bought Christmas Oranges. I think it was still a little over Thomas' head, but he seemed to like it. The craft that I had planned with this was to make clove oranges. It just did not happen. It was our last day in Utah and we spent the day with family.
Christmas Carol - Dec 12
We flew back to Michigan toady. We had such a good visit with family. It was fun to spend time with Ryan's family that we rarely get to see. It was nice to see my sisters and my Mom right before Christmas too.
Today, the book was A Christmas Carol. It was such a long day that Thomas did not make it through this book without falling asleep. I think that we will have to try this book again later.







No comments:
Post a Comment